photo istagram_icon.jpg  photo facebook_icon.jpg photo twitter-icon.jpg  photo arrow.jpg

Search

Archive

Powered by Blogger.
Monday, October 21, 2013

WE ARE STORIES: Rachel McCluskey


My name is Rachel & Northern Ireland is my home. I’m almost 21 years old, rarely settled, and dreaming of life in the Empire State. I’ve struggled with writing this for weeks. I guess I just want to be honest from the start. I try my hardest to live honestly; and I am always talking about the importance of owning your past and sharing your story. However, sharing mine has caused my palms to glisten and shake.  

My mind is cluttered and messy. A tangled web of unfinished sentences and words I ache to tell the world, but am too frightened to let slip past my lips. I’ve written on the back of receipts and in the framework unsent messages for weeks, but now we’re here. It feels uneasy, but it feels right. So this is my story & this is my heart. Raw as ever, and messy as could be.


Life could have been a lot different for me. Although it isn’t something I often talk about, it is not something that I am ashamed of either. When I was 15 weeks old my mother and father adopted me, and took me home as theirs. Four years after the adoption of my older brother. My brother and I have been showered with love and selflessness from the very day the adoption papers were signed and sealed. My dad is my hero; he works hard, and is the one who still leaves the hall light on for me at night.  My mum is the woman who cries for me when I can’t cry any longer. She’s both small and fierce. To this very day I’ve never had to fight any of my battles alone and I know I wont ever need to.

I grew up in a home that loved God and loved each other. I had an incredibly happy childhood. For the most part I just went through the motions. When it came to school I always ended up getting on the wrong side of someone. I spent a lot of time getting bullied when I was very young. Some of it was vicious, however, in hindsight it was mostly just relentless. If my face wasn’t getting rubbed in dirt, my skirt was getting pulled up and 9-year-old girls were yelling their newly learnt cuss words in my face.  Even as a kid I just wanted to please people, so I took it and then offered to be their friend in the end. I still struggle with that.


 Then high school happened. My first 3 years of high school were a strange combination of ordinary and horrible. The girl who made school really tough moved and I found a group of people who I thought glittered. They were older and I was naïve. Everything in my young heart was captivated by the lives they lived.  I allowed myself to get so sucked into the way they did things that I forgot how to live for myself. I spent two years overcome by alcohol, parties and lies. Too young to understand, yet old enough to choose to continue. I lied a lot, mostly to my parents. I drank and flirted with addiction to silence the shame and guilt. Toxic relationships made me question everything I once thought to be real and true. I spent time with people who wrecked me, and I hurt them right back. Anxiety reigned and I fought so hard against the good that God has promised. I started to accept the lies I told myself. I believed that people would sooner walk away and leave, than fight for me. I bought the lie that told me I was alone, that I was unworthy, damaged and unlovable.



Secrets can make you sick and mine caused my skin to bruise & bleed. My mind became weary and my heart was weak. I fought for a way out and just when I was ready to let go a miracle happened. People fought, and I was able to stand with arms outstretched and heart abandoned in the glory of the one who accepts me just as I am. Show Him the wounds of your soul, that He may heal them.

Words evoke emotion & they have the ability to create hope; real, honest and raw. Words can shake us to our very core while at the same time bring our entire world to a halt. I’ve known death in the heart of a young girl who has felt the pang of cruel taunts and even the sharpness of her own tongue. But I believe in people and I believe in hope. The words of others give me strength and they make me brave. Words can breath new life and your story can heal the wounded soul of a stranger.


For so long I didn’t really know who I was, and I guess sometimes I still remain unsure. I still fight affection despite how my heart & flesh long for it. But I know no one is meant to do life alone. I will continue to battle against the hold that depression and anxiety has over me, but I am no longer drowning. Seasons come, but seasons change. It may be tearing you apart, but this is a storm that you were built and rooted to weather. If we believe that for each other, we must own it for ourselves.

So this is where I stand. Floating uncomfortably between calm and storm. My heart is both broken and beating strong. I don’t know where you are, but take refuge in the knowledge that the light will eventually find you, as it found me. This is the truth I cling to daily, and I pray you trust it enough to grip it in both your hands and never it let go.







0 comments: